Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Homemade Laundry Soap - Review
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been addicted to pintrest. The social media program has a plethora of ideas for anything that any one person may want to do. A couple of months ago I saw my neighbor had pinned a website that had a recipe for homemade laundry soap. We had talked about it and I asked her to tell me about how she thought it worked; next thing I know she brings me a sample.
I used to use Tide free and gentle and also I used Downy for fabric softener. With these products I was finding I had to run my rinse cycle twice to ensure I got all of the soap and softener out for Masyn. As some of you know Masyn has eczema. His eczema flares up really bad in the winter. I have tried using lotions, and various creams to help him. The eczema just turns his skin to leather and using "regular" lotion is painful for him. Once I started using this laundry soap his issues minimized A LOT! I still used fabric softener so he still had small issues. I re-read this blog and she stated that you can use white vinegar for fabric softener and it would work great. I was skeptical but gave it a shot.
I have fallen in love with this soap hook, line, and sinker. Not only has it helped my little man be more comfortable in his clothes but it saves me a ton!!
Here is the recipe in short:
1/3 bar of Fels Naptha Laundry Soap
1/2 C Borax
1/2 C Super Washing Soda (different than baking soda)
2 Gallons of Water (divided)
3+ gallon bucket/pot
Grate your laundry soap and add to 6 C of water. Heat on low temperature (careful not to boil). Once the soap is melted add your borax and washing soda. Continue to stir mixture until it thickens (similar to honey). Remove from the heat. In your bucket pour 4 cups of hot tap water and then add soap mixture and stir. Then add 1 gallon plus 6 more cups of hot tap water. Stir for few more minutes and then let it sit overnight. The next morning you will need to whisk it or blend it to break up the clumps (she said this was normal) and then it is ready to use.
You use 1/2 cup of the laundry soap per load and if you use the vinegar, for your softener, also use a 1/2 cup. Now I will offer a caution; this is not stellar on flannel or fleece, only because it creates static in all of the clothes in the load. I plan on keeping some commerical soap on hand to assist with that specifically.
The cost of making this soap. . . . well I bought a the bar of soap (which is good for 3 batches of soap) for $0.97, the borax for approximately $3.00, and the washing soda for about the same. I have more than enough borax and washing soda to make laundry for at least six months. So now laundry cost me pennies per load. I also am using the vinegar because I can buy 2 gallons of white vinegar from Sam's club for just under $4.00.
So. . . if you have eczema I highly recommend this soap, my parents and my sister have already converted who have eczema much worse than Masyn. They all swear by it now.
*The recipe and step by step directions can be found at http://frugallygreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-soap.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
This idea is really cool. I love the back-to-basics idea, and applaud your practical and frugal approach. It DOES sound like a lot of work, however. So glad this soap recipe helps Masyn.
Post a Comment