Saturday, March 24, 2012

I did it!!!

I started working out consistently in early September of last year.  With this I have considered running as an option but always talked myself out of it. 
In November my sister in law, Stacy, started the couch to 5K program.  I took a look at the program and it intrigued me.  I talked a lot about it with Doug.  As every good husband does he encouraged me telling me I could do it.

I talked myself out of it once again.

Finally, in January I decided I was going to win the battle and prove I could do it.  So after talking to some friends at church (thanks guys!)  and from my old job (thanks Jo Lynn) I decided it was time to just sign up for one and do it.  Jo Lynn told me about a 5K that happened on St Patrick's day.  I put it out to some friends and we decided we would all join and do the race together. 

I started the infamous couch to 5K program in February and had a hard time staying with it because I was having a hard time getting to the gym.  So I did the best I could to prepare. 
The day of the race came and the goal was to jog the whole thing.

Here is some of us before the race started. We are missing one couple.

Doug was awesome and stayed with me the whole race.  I tried telling him to go ahead because I could tell that he wanted to, but I was REALLY glad that he was there the whole time.  I am not sure if I made it halfway before I had to walk a little bit because of a side ache, but as soon as I started walking I picked a point to start running again.  I think all in all I walked between a quarter to half a mile the whole race. 
Doug had to drag me across the finish line but I did it I ran a 5K in 45:40.  I know the time isn't fantastic, but for never running a 5K I felt great about it and no one can take that away from me. 

Now I am preparing for another 5K at the end of May with a group of friends from church.  I can hardly wait.  The goal on this one is to run the WHOLE DARN thing!  Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

Emily Jones said...

You did awesome! It was so fun running with you. Thanks for motivating me to sign up for my first 5k too. Looking forward to the one in May. You can do it! :)

Brandi said...

Great job Des! SO proud of you!

Angie said...

You go girl :)

Risa Stumm said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!!!! I love it! Des, you are one of the most determined people I know! Congrats on your first of MANY 5Ks!!!!!