Monday, June 11, 2012

Memories

As a child our family vacations were always camping.  We went ALL the time!  All of us kids would pack our clothes and help mom pack up the kitchen stuff and food.  When dad would get home from work we would load the truck and the trailer with the tents, sleeping bags and whatever else we would need for the weekend getaway. 

We would fight about who got to sit on top of all of the clothes bags, sleeping pads and blankets and sleeping bags.  That was the best spot because you squished yourself in between the roof of the truck and all of the gear.  Then we would head for the hills. 

While up camping we would always explore.  The trucks we had were always four wheel drive so my dad would find a a jeep trail and off we went.  We went of several trails the few that made an impression in my memory are Green Ridge trail (up be Lost Lake), Kelly Flats, and Old Flowers Road. 

On several occasions when the time came to load up and head back to reality we would take the scenic route down and cut over to Stove Prairie and come down Rist Canyon or sometimes we would follow Stove Prairie Road to Buckhorn Road and come into town. 

We would take picnics and go and visit Lory State Park.  I remember specifically in seventh grade I had a science project that I got points for the type of animals and plants I saw. I would document the kind of animal/plant and where I saw it.  I was short on points and my dad took me to Lory State Park to see what we could find.  Now - the park is on fire as well.

The childhood memories of camping and four wheeling and visiting Lory State Park have been on my mind since this last Saturday morning.  On Saturday morning  at approximately 5:54 am a fire started by a lightening strike and has grown out of control.  Today is day three of this fire and currently it is at 36,930 acres and a growth potential set at high. I have been following the live blog set up by the sheriff's office and every time I see a change it breaks my heart.

You can get current information from the incident web page  - another web page I have been following for this fire.

Here are some pictures that I have taken of the fire and some from my parents.

This is Saturday at about 11:45 am on the way to my parents house

This is at the north end of my parents street on Saturday about 3:30 pm

This is Sunday night from my house at about 8:20 pm

This is in Fort Collins at the intersection of CR 38E (Harmony Rd) and Taft Hill.
It is my understanding that CR38E was close going west shortly after we went north through the intersection. This was also Sunday night.

These are at Inspiration Park in Fort Collins off of Horsetooth Rd.



This is a picture that my dad took they were about 1/2 mile away
Hughes Stadium on the way up to Horsetooth Reservoir.

Another picture from my dad.  This fire has crossed over the crown of
the mountain and is on the east side now.

My prayers go to all those fighting the fire and all of those who have been affected by the fire.  It is an intense fire. I am glad my parents helped us create memories and taught us an appreciation of nature and all of Gods creations.


**update 06/11/12- as of tonight the fire has exceeded 41,000 acres. **
**update 06/14/12 - as of today the fire is at 49,763 acres (this is larger than the town of Fort Collins)**
**update 06/24/12- the fire is currently at 81,190 acres. This is currently the second largest fire in the history of Colorado; while being the most destructive and costly.**

2 comments:

Brandi said...

made me cry at work, thinking of it all. Nice post, Des.

Risa Stumm said...

Oh my... So glad you were able to make some good family memories in camping in those beautiful mountains. I hope the fire gets under control soon!