Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Worms and dirt cake

Doug and I went to a halloween party this last week and had a blast.  There was a contest for "scariest" dessert.  I made the following:

Jell-O worm dirt cake
Bloodworms
 Wax Paper
100 flexible plastic straws
1 empty, cleaned 1-quart milk or orange juice carton to hold straws (I used a popcorn box that I bought at target for $1)
1 pkg (6 oz) raspberry or grape flavor jello (I used a small box, I think that may have helped the worms look more opaque)
3 envelopes of unflavored gelatin (1 box has four envelopes)
3 cups boiling water
3/4 Cups= whipping cream
12-15 drops of green food coloring

Combine gelatins in a bowl and add boiling water; stir until gelatins are completely dissolved. Chill until lukewarm, approximately 20 minutes (mine took like 30 minutes).
While gelatin is chilling pull straws to full length and place in tall container. Wrap straws together loosely with a rubber band, so the straws stay together. Blend cream and food coloring with lukewarm gelatin (I mixed the food coloring and the cream first then added it to the gelatin). Carefully pout into container, filling straws. Chill until the gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days (I let mine chill overnight).

Pull straws from the container, or if using a carton, simply tear it away from the filled straws. Pull straws apart. Run hot tap water for 2-3 seconds over 3-4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty end push worms out with a rolling pin or use your fingers.

Lay worms on wax paper lined baking sheet (I put mine into a bowl all grouped together). Cover and chill until read to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.

Worms hold at room temperature for about 2 hours.

Recipe from http://www.theidearoom.net/2009/09/jell-o-blood-worms.html

Dirt Cake
1/2 Cup butter (I didn’t use this and it tasted great!)
1 (8 oz) pkg of cream cheese
1/2 Cup of powder sugar
2 (3.5 oz) pkgs of instant vanilla pudding mix
3 1/2 Cups milk
1 (12 oz) container frozen cool whip, thawed (I whipped the rest of my whipping cream added about 3/4 Cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla)
32 oz Oreo cookies

Chop cookies very fine in a food processor, the white cream will disappear. Mix butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a bowl. In a large bowl mix milk, pudding and whipped topping together. Once incorporated combine your cream mixture with your pudding mixture.

I used a casserole dish and layered my pudding mixture and then some worms then crushed cookies. I ended with the cookies and then used my hand to pull some worms to the top of the crushed cookies to appear as though they had dirt on them. Once complete I chilled the whole thing until it was time to leave, which was about 2-3 hours.

Recipe from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/dirt-cake-i/detail.aspx

Here are a couple of pictures of the treat!!

 Believe it or not they are not real worms!!
And, yes we won first place!!!

No comments: