Friday, January 27, 2012

Sometimes you can't catch a break. . . .

GOODBYE CAST!!!!
On January 11 we took Ryleigh in for her LAST orthopedic appointment for her broken leg.  We went and started with taking an X-ray to check her femur.  When the doctor came in the room afterwards, he was glad to report that her leg looked fantastic and that she didn't need her brace/cast any longer.
YIPPEE!!!!

This is what the back of her leg looked like the next evening after a bath.  It is hard to see, but you can tell how high her road rash went.  The area that is the deep red is approximately where it was broken. 



Ryleigh was sooo excited to be free and out of her cast.  On the following Saturday my sister came down with her kids to play before the adult session of Stake Conference that night.  Ryleigh and her cousin, Katie Jo, were twirling in the living room.  The girls lost their balance and fell several times; but the last time Katie Jo fell on top of Ryleigh's left foot.  Ryleigh let a scream out that had me revisit the day her leg was broken.  I was able to get her calmed down and some ice on her foot but the swelling was already starting.

My parents came down to watch the kids that evening.  Once I returned home my mom told me that Ryleigh refused to stand or even walk; she scooted around the house like she did when she first broke her leg.  Her foot was pretty swollen on Sunday morning, I considered taking her into urgent care but decided against it.  We continued to ice her foot and kept her on ibuprofen for the pain and Monday morning we called the doctor. 

Lucky for us we got in to see our family doctor (which is an added bonus because she is hard to catch on the fly).  They took an X-ray but wasn't able to determine if anything was broken right away.  The doctor requested a radiologist take a look at it.  The doctor told us to keep icing her foot and Ryleigh in her tennis shoe for support.  Tuesday Ryleigh started to get a little braver and tried walking on it, but the foot still bothered her quite a bit.  In the afternoon I got a call back from the doctor with the results of the X-ray. . . . her foot was fractured.  Yep, fractured!  I was supposed to call the orthopedic center to schedule an appointment for that day to get her taken care of. 

All I could do was laugh.  (Please don't think I am a bad parent!!) It took me a good 5-10 minutes to stop laughing after I got off of the phone with the doctor.  I felt horrible that she had been out of her cast a mere three days and then broke something else; not even something else the foot of the leg she broke. 

Seriously!!!

After visiting with the orthopedic doctor was unable to determine if she had fractured her foot or not.  So, he is treating as if it is fractured.  Ryleigh now is sporting an awesome post-op boot that she is wearing for another week.  We go back mid-next week to see if she can take the boot off and finish remembering how to walk properly. 

Now I am trying to decide if I should put in her bubble wrap to make sure she doesn't break anything else for a LONG time!

1 comment:

Emily Jones said...

Oh my heavens, poor girl! Enough already! I hope she heals quickly. She really is such a sweet heart. (And I'd definitely consider bubble wrap too if I were you.)